To help keep parents and community informed of any application of pesticides, and in compliance with RCW.17.21.410, this annual notification is provided.
- The Ocosta School District applies pesticides as needed throughout the year. Pesticides are only utilized when it is determined that there is no alternative treatment that will be successful. As much as possible, the district relies on an environmentally sensitive, common sense approach to pest control that focuses on custodial practices, landscaping, and other preventive measures. The district approach to pest control is devoted to removing the root causes of landscape and structural pest infestations and only calls for the use of pesticides as a last resort.
- Pesticide applications include insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides. The District complies with all legal requirements regarding the application of pesticides to school grounds, play fields and buildings.
- Pesticides typically utilized include Clear Out 41 Plus and Round Up.
- Applications are completed by maintenance department employees and licensed contractors. There are no restricted-use pesticides applied by district personnel, and all pesticides are applied at recommended rates. The least toxic pesticide applicable to the pest is selected for use.
- School district policy and procedures require that parents, students, and staff be notified of pesticide applications in the following ways:
- Notification will occur at least 48 hours in advance of any application. A notice will be placed at a prominent location at the main office and near the entrance to the facility treated.
- The name of the pesticide to be applied
- The date and time of application
- Location of where the pesticide is to be applied
- The pest to be controlled
- The name and phone number of a contact person at the school
Individuals who would like to be notified by e-mail or via telephone when applications are made, may call the district office at 360-268-9125 and submit their name and contact information.